ABBA re-release debut album Ring Ring on its 50th anniversary
By Classic Pop | May 19, 2023
ABBA’s debut album Ring Ring has been re-released today. You can now order the album here.
Reaching record shops in Sweden on 26 March 1973, Ring Ring offered a wealth of great pop tunes. There was, for instance, People Need Love, the very first ABBA single, and He Is Your Brother, a popular number on ABBA’s 1977 tour of Europe and Australia.
- Read more: Ranked! Top 40 ABBA songs
Crucially, on the title track the ABBA sound was born, as the group discovered how attractive the sound of multi-layered vocals was, and how exciting a song could be if you made use of all the possibilities of the recording studio.
The public responded well to Ring Ring – the song and the album. Famously, for two consecutive weeks in April 1973, the Swedish Ring Ring single was at No.1, the English-language version at No.2, and the Ring Ring album at No.3 on the combined singles-and-albums chart used in Sweden at the time.
The Ring Ring album was originally credited to Björn & Benny, Agnetha & Frida – the name ABBA didn’t quite exist yet. The group itself almost didn’t exist, as the two ladies were still pursuing solo careers, and the two men were busy with many different projects when the album was recorded. But its huge success sealed the deal: from now on they would be ABBA.
To celebrate this milestone, the LP Ring Ring and its singles have been released today.
- 2LP 45 RPM remastered at Abbey Road Studios in a gatefold sleeve featuring obi-strip and certificate of authenticity.
- 5×7″ Colour Singles Box Set (D2C Exclusive)
- Individual 7″ Picture Discs:
- He Is Your Brother / Santa Rosa
- People Need Love / Merry-Go-Round
- Ring Ring (English) / She’s My Kind of Girl
- Ring Ring (Swedish), Åh, vilka tider
- Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough / I Am Just A GirlWant more from Classic Pop magazine? Get a free digital issue when you sign up to our newsletter!