Debbie Harry to release deluxe edition of her 1981 solo album KooKoo
By Classic Pop | March 16, 2023
On 5 May Chrysalis Records will release a special vinyl edition of the 1981 debut solo album from Debbie Harry, KooKoo. You can pre-order it here.
KooKoo was recorded whilst Harry and Chris Stein took a break from Blondie. Teaming up with Chic’s Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, the duo produced an album fusing funk, rock, disco and new wave. Their innovative production on Kookoo pre-dated their future work with David Bowie and Madonna.
KooKoo went on to sell half a million copies in America, attaining gold status. The album contained two hit singles, Backfired and The Jam Was Moving.
The iconic sleeve design by Swiss artist HR Giger (famous for his work on the Alien movie) has been restored from the original elements.
The audio for this release has been expanded to include a bonus 12” with remixes from the singles. It has been mastered from the original pre-production tapes and cut at Half-Speed by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios.
Format: Limited numbered edition of 6,000 units, 2x 180gm Clear Vinyl, Lenticular Image on a 5mm wide spine sleeve, Art Print and 2x Printed Inners.
- Read more: Blondie & Debbie Harry: the complete guide
Debbie Harry – KooKoo tracklisting:
- Jump Jump
- The Jam Was Moving
- Inner Citty Spillover
- Now I Know You Know
- Under Arrest
- Military Rap
Side Three (Bonus):
- Backfired [Extended Version]
- The Jam Was Moving [Extended Version]
- Inner City Spillover [Extended Version]
Side Four (Bonus):
- Backfired [Bruce Forrest & Frank Heller Remix]
- The Jam Was Moving [Chris Stein & Debbie Harry Remix]
- Want more from Classic Pop magazine? Get a free digital issue when you sign up to our newsletter!
- Read more: Blondie interview: “Everybody we knew was put off by The Eagles and Linda Ronstadt”